7.10.2015

4 Thrift Store Shopping Tips

There are two types of people: those who are intimated/grossed out by thrifting and those who love the thrill of the hunt. Clearly, it's no secret I love it and I get a lot of emails and questions asking how I find the things I do at thrift stores and how I have such great luck. Sure, it may be some luck but if you thrift with the right eye, you can also find some sweet stuff. I've previously written a post about a few of my thrifting tips here if you missed it, but I wanted to get a bit more specific. So let's get right to it!

thrifting_tips

1. Look out for high quality fabric. It's how I found my DVF pants, my Vince shirt, and the latest Equipment tee shirt. If something catches your eye, go after it! Specifically, the Equipment top has a suede texture that I was immediately drawn to. I liked the moons on it and then I noticed the brand. Trust, you'll know good quality fabric when you see it.


thrifting_tips

2. Slips have become my latest obsession to thrift for. I'm gonna be real honest and for years thought it was kinda gross but I've come around and now I love it. {I draw the line there though. No lingerie, guys. Just don't.}I love finding black or nude silk slip dresses that can be worn under see-through dresses. It can be difficult finding the perfect one to go under that white chiffon dress, but look for vintage ones which tend to be a bit heavier, have a deeper v-neck, and often have a shorter hem.


thrifting_tips
thrifting_tips

3. Trendy and basic pieces. This may seem like I'm saying the complete opposite but listen here. If you find an awesome basic tee that is perfectly worn in and still in good condition, buy it! Tee shirts are not made the same as they used to be. There's good reason why it still looks and feels the way it does. And with that, try a trend! I'm loving overalls right now and I can usually always find them. A while ago I was super into orange and found a pair of brand new orange trousers that fit like a glove {with the tags still on}. I still get compliments on them. Would I have payed the $59.99 they retailed for? Heck no. Not when it's a phase or something trendy but I am more than willing to spend $4 on an item I'll wear for a season. Lucky for me, overalls seem to be sticking around, whether some of you like it or not! ;)

thrifting_tips

4. Graphic tees, specifically in the men's section, can be gold in a thrift store. I lightweight band tees and baseball tees, perfectly oversized and worn in. Look for stains, any holes, and the type of fabric. I prefer a bit of translucency and give.

Disqus for K Avenue