8.19.2017

Boy Mom


I knew once my maternity leave was over, the laissez faire lifestyle we had all grown accustomed to would soon end. And oh, how quickly it did. Once back at work, I got a promotion which has proven to be challenging and rewarding in every way. (Side note: hip hip for getting a promotion two weeks after being back at work, eh?) Thomas' schedule got more intense as a UPS driver and his hours have been longer and longer. Caleb is teething and eating solids (which makes dinner time more interesting), and Liam is soaking up learning letters, spelling and reading books every day.

All wonderful things but the challenge of being a working mom has been more prevalent than ever. I don't get home with the boys until about 5:30 and from there I hit the ground running. Dinner, packing the next day's lunches, making sure Caleb has enough milk to bring to daycare, baths, and laundry all greet me the second I get home. And then there's that little bit of trying to spend quality time with the boys.


Some days it feels seamless and others....well, not. Liam is grumpy, Caleb is hungry and wanting to nurse for an hour and my arms are stretched thin. When one of the boys has a bad day, it wears on us all. We are all tired at the end of the day and it can be difficult to be patient. I can get so focused on all the things I need to get done before I go to bed that I forget to just love on my boys.

Like when I keep saying "later" to Liam after his incessant requests to read a book together.

When I let Caleb play too long in his gym instead of cuddling him.

When I take things too seriously instead of remembering that in 5 years, the tempter tantrums will diminish.

Since Caleb was born, I've learned how different my personality is from Liam's. Caleb has my temperament and Liam has Thomas'. He's emotional, dramatic, sensitive, pushes boundaries, needy, and so NOT a people pleaser. He has been my greatest challenge. On a particular difficult night, I called my mom in desperation. She reminded me that I am exactly the mother that he needs. When God created Liam, he knew I would be the perfect mama for him. Perhaps it's good for him that I'm easy going. Imagine the tiffs we would have if we were both tornadoes!

As Caleb matures I notice how him and Liam balance each other out. They are so different from each other and I'm so thankful for that. Caleb LOVES Liam and does not care that he lays on him, pretends to be Batman and fight the bad guys with him, or squishes the crap out of his cheeks (I don't blame him for that one). I hope that love for each other never ends.



Disqus for K Avenue