4.10.2017

He's Here!

Our new little bundle joined us just a few days ago and our lives have felt so enriched. Though tired and adjusting to life as a family of four, it has been a joyful first week.

Caleb Hendrick was born Tuesday, April 4 at 6:28AM weighing 10 lbs, 1 oz and 21 inches long. 6 days before his due date. I was scheduled early Monday morning to be induced but as luck would have it, it got pushed back to 1pm due to lack of rooms. After checking in, I was given Pitocin pretty quickly. My doctor thankfully knew Liam's birth story and wasn't willing to prolong labor any longer than necessary. So thankful for her. 😉

When I checked in, I was already dilated to 3 centimeters and I was hoping that would quicken labor. It took about 13 hours to progress much past 3.5 centimeters. Though contractions were regular, they weren't intense enough. Thankfully I had been given an epidural around 6pm so I mostly battled boredom. My mom, Rick, Thomas and I spent most of the day watching HGTV and Criminal Minds and chatted. I consumed cherry popsicles and ice chips like no tomorrow.

My mom and Thomas were in the room the entire night, both sleeping. I slept about 20 minutes at a time usually waking up to my blood pressure cuff sucking the life out of my arm or a nurse coming in. I had moments where I felt great and didn't feel a need to sleep and others where nausea would hit and would randomly throw up.

Close to 2am, the epidural seemed to not be having much of an effect. I was in excruciating pain. Contractions were coming every minute, minute and a half. The anesthesiologist came to pump more medicine and for a brief hour and a half, the pain seemed manageable again.

I slept for about an hour and suddenly woke up to PAIN. The night nurse came in, checked me and saw I was still only at 4 cm. She was calm and said if I needed anything to let her know. It was probably just pressure that I was feeling. This did not just feel like pressure and she was not understanding. My mom had woken up at this point and saw the look on my face and knew I wasn't doing well. Less than two minutes after the nurse left, I called her back in and said that my pain level was literally at a 10. She checked me again and I was 7cm. Within two minutes I had gone from 4cm to 7cm. I wanted to scream. Side note: when I am in unbearable pain I am silent. I literally do not utter a word. Do not touch me, do not talk to me.

I looked over at Thomas who was still sound asleep and yelled with tears rolling down my face, WHY IN THE WORLD IS HE STILL ASLEEP?!?!?! I also apparently get really mad when I'm in pain.

The nurse called the anesthesiologist back in the room and that's when I knew I was justified. As if a woman in labor needs any sort of justification for her pain level.

Why is she in this much pain? she exclaimed. She was given an epidural! You (nurse) should have called me an hour ago! Unacceptable.

God bless her.

Though the pain "lessened" I knew push time was rapidly approaching.

My doctor came in and seeing her familiar face was a relief. I heard her say I was at 9.5 cm and we literally all watched the contraction monitor waiting for the right moment to push. I pushed a few times and suddenly, 4-5 nurses filled the room, leg straddles were put in place, and my doctor was putting on what seemed like a hazmat suit.

I pushed for 8 minutes, determined to be relieved of the pain, and our boy was here. He was perfection.


We've been home for a few days now and we're settling into a new routine. Caleb is a happy boy and really only cries when he's wet, hungry or wants his pacifier. Liam has been such a help and though I worried about him being jealous, he has settled into the role of big brother beautifully. He loves to hold him and give kisses and is slowly learning that the pacifier cannot be shoved into the baby's mouth and does not want smothering hugs. It's endearing watching him love on Caleb.

Thank you so much for all your well wishes and congratulations. We have felt your love and are so encouraged by you!

Disqus for K Avenue