11.06.2014

3:40 on a Wednesday




Dress: Joe Fresh (old), similar here and here | Coat: thrifted | Tights: Target | Boots: old, another pair I love

 3;30 PM begins my countdown to the end of my work day. I'm off at 4:30 PM every day (which is sa-weeeet) and the office gets quieter and quieter as people file out the door, their day ending. Approximately 3:40, my countdown in full effect, loud sirens blare through the sixth floor. What the? I look across my cubicle at my office mate and we just stare at each other with perplexed expressions. And then the deep drawl.

This is not a drill. Please make your way to the nearest exit. Do not use the elevators.

Coat gets put on, bag in hand, and I slowly make my way to the staircase down the hall. Me and 200 other people.

Again, This is not a drill. Please make your way to the nearest exit. Do not use the elevators.

It is shockingly loud in a hollow cement staircase, albeit filled with dozens of people.

Meanwhile, the sirens.

In case of an emergency, I don't recommend trolling sixth floors down behind an elderly woman. The gap between me and the group ahead gets larger as the woman in front of me takes one. step. at. a time.

This is not a drill. Please make your way to the nearest exit. Do not use the elevators.

Terrific.

After what seemed like a millennium, we reached the last step and made our way outside. No, not through the front entrance. That was barricaded. Through the looooong hallway in the back of the building. Of course, the weather dropped about 25 degrees. And it was raining. But I and 200 other employees start the long trek to wherever our meeting place is in such an emergency. Turns out, it's directly in front of the building. That seems odd. Couldn't go out of the front entrance, but let's meet there because just in case the building IS burning down, we'll have a front row seat.

One single firetruck stops at the entrance and two firemen saunter into the building.

45 minutes later, still cold. Still raining. Still waiting.

Okay guys, you're free to go back inside.

Super!

Still don't know what happened. But my building didn't burn down so that's positive. Guess it's a plus to work for an engineering/insurance company. Oh, the ridiculous jokes that were told that afternoon.

4:30 PM hit with a quickness.


Disqus for K Avenue