11.12.2008

Veteran's Day

I never really gave Veteran's Day much thought before. Ya, I appreciated the people who served our country, but it was never really a very personal day. Well that changed. Now that Thomas is serving in Iraq, it puts a whole new meaning to the day. I went to a ceremony this morning honoring vets and I absolutely loved it. There's a new Vietnam Vets Memorial in town. It's pretty sweet. I've never been very patriotic but because of Thomas, things are so completely different. I'm so proud of him and what he's doing. Sometimes it's easy to overlook every time I talk to him that he's in Iraq. That is until I hear grenades and gunshots in the background and then reality hits.
Military life just intrigues me now. I've never had to live it. Mostly just read about it. But now that I'm in the middle of it, there's a new sense of pride. Oddly enough, I see a lot of military people around town in their uniforms. Sometimes I hate it cause it just makes me miss Thomas more, but mostly it just makes me proud. I'm learning to not take advantage of my freedom. And anytime anyone ever talked to me about the price of freedom, it always just went in one ear and out the other. Now I fully understand its cost.

Disqus for K Avenue