12.28.2017

Liam at Four


As my first born, Liam was our guinea pig. We figured out {kinda} how to parent with him. What was important to us, things we would let slide, and the man we wanted to raise. A grand responsibility and one we took so seriously.

Liam is also our biggest challenge. He's headstrong, stubborn, bold, knows what he wants, won't settle for less, and opinionated. I do believe these characteristics will serve him well in life if he channels them appropriately. He will change the world, this I am confident of. But he's put up a fight in the way we've raised him and I hoped that one day, one day, our parenting would sink in and he would grow out of the fits and the rage.

I think the real change in him started a few months into Caleb's life. He saw our needs and he yearned to help and care for his brother. The fits stopped, like immediately, and out came this mild tempered, sweet mannered, generous little boy. He stepped into the role of big brother seamlessly and took to the change better than the rest of us. He ran for diapers, burp clothes, whispered when necessary, and remains a constant giver of hugs and kissies.

I ask for him to get in jim jams. Ok mama, I'll do that right away!

Mama, Caleb boy spit up!

Can I please have a banana? I mean, may I? Actual words spoken to me yesterday.

When I give him goodnight kissies and tell him I love him. And Jesus too, Mama, and daddy and Caleb.

You never really know if you're mothering the right way. I mean, what is the right way? There isn't one. But when your kid seems defiant to everything you try, you feel desperate. I must be doing something wrong. Is it me? Is he learning these traits from me? Am I being a model parent? I still ask all the same questions, but I also know that's what makes a good parent.

I'm so proud of that little boy. We still hit bumps in the road and will forevermore, but he's made HUGE progress and I just beam with pride when I look at him.

You, my Liam, are a delight to mother. But you're too big to throw anymore.

Disqus for K Avenue