10.04.2014

I get it from my mama


I love Fall; I think it stems from my mom. For as long as I can remember, my mama has been a decorator. Every holiday, the house would take on a personality of its own. Even the "little" holidays like Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day (family birthdays fall on or around these dates which makes it more special), Memorial Day, etc. Once summer came to a close, Fall took over. Our house was adorned with leaves, pumpkins, scarecrows, gourds, corn. I loved it. For the next four months, our house was something magical. I'll always remember it. What made it more special, probably more so now that I'm older, every year had the same decorations. We never really bought more each year, it was either gifted or carried on from year to year. The same ornaments, the same tin collection, the same wooden pumpkin and lifesize scarecrows, everything. Those items became special to me and memorable. I know that when I go home every year for whatever holiday, the same items will be there. I love that and want to pass on my own traditions to Liam. Thanks to my mama, I love decorating for the holidays. I may not go all out like my mom did, it's pretty hard to do, but I hope when Liam grows up he will roll his own eyes knowing that once the holiday season starts, up goes the shrapnel. The other day, I bought some fake pumpkins for Liam to play with (and then put back where they go!!). To say he's obsessed with them is an understatement. He weirdly likes to lick them and arrange them in a line. This makes my heart so happy. Passin' on that holiday spirit. I also bought Liam several pairs of flannel jammies and when husband saw him said, "Hey Mr. Kringle!!" My heart burst. That boy is gonna LOVE this time of year, I know it. It's magical.

This weekend will be grand. We're off to the Texas State Fair and then the pumpkin patch. Maybe we'll even get lucky and temperatures will be below 80.


Disqus for K Avenue