3.15.2016

Sweet Sixteen

We met at an awkward college Freshman dinner. The kind you go to with your parents and pray they never ever ever leave your side because it's so awkward. Luckily, everyone is in your same uncomfortable shoes but that doesn't seem to help. I sat at a table with her and we were both quiet and clearly hadn't mastered our conversation skills yet.

Fast forward a few weeks and we hit it off. I don't remember the exact instance, if it was a class we had together or if it was us clinging to each other because our parents had ditched us. We became inseparable. Where Lauren was, Krista was.

Mid Sophomore year, she left me (so dramatic) and transferred to a different school and it just wasn't the same without her. There was a hole. We were both still in Colorado and we made sure we'd travel the 30 minutes to see each other. Her parents became my second parents and they made Colorado feel like home when I so desperately missed my own.

Through a stroke of best friend luck, we both moved to Dallas around the same time in 2010. Again, she made Dallas feel familiar in a city unknown. I had just gotten married and she fit right in with my new husband. Lo and Thomas became fast friends, as any girl hopes her best friend and husband will.

Within a few years she moved back to Colorado but we still kept up with our reunions. She was my maid of honor, we met in Vegas a few times (one of which I was unknowingly pregnant and just could not keep up with the Vegas nightlife!), I drove down to Bakersfield after we had moved back to California to see her when she was visiting family, she flew to see us after I had Liam, and just this last weekend she combined her work trip with our 10 year reunion.

It's crazy to look back 10 years ago and remember those two scared Freshman. With a husband and kid in tow, I pray our friendship grows. Though we may never live in the same state, she is a constant in my life -- a best friend to me and an auntie to Liam.


Best friends, sweet sixteenBest friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteenBest friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteen
Best friends, sweet sixteen

Loff you, Boo.

Disqus for K Avenue